Thursday, August 5, 2010

Socially just use of technology

I feel that the use of technology in the classroom is a given these days. Kids must get used to referring to technology for multiple purposes -- not only for the workplace, but for life in general (communicating with others, being informed about what's going on in the world, and even pragmatic tasks like finding an apartment). And for this reason, kids who may not have access at home, must learn to utilize what is available to them in the community --libraries, universities, school computer lab, etc.
As a teacher, I will make sure that every kid has equal opportunity to use technolgy for assignments. I like the idea of doing a survey on the first day of the course to find out what they know and have experience with. Also, if students need class time to work on an assignment in the computer lab or need help from me after class, I will make it happen. And so I don't foresee any problem using technology in my class. I do think it would be a disservice to all of my students if I do not use technology. As I am finding out from this and other classes, technology opens up a wide world of learning opportunities -- through games, information searches on the web, videos, library databases, etc. It creates a much more dynamic classroom and it also prepares kids to be dynamic learners. They will be better prepared for work and college if they are technologically savvy and excited to learn from technology.
To make sure that disadvantaged kids have access to technology, I will give them the time and place for to use it in the computer lab or classroom. All students will have equal access to technology for assignments and activities. I will also teach them how to find access to computers and other technology by teaching them, for example, where the library is or where the nearest college campus is.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Technology will be something that our students continue to use throughout their lives. We as teachers should teach them how to become more proficient at using technology. I too would be willing to stay after class and give students the opportunity to use technology that they may not have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right on track, we just need to make things available for kids and teach them what is out there and how to access it!

    ReplyDelete